Start a new topic

NFC Reader

Would be nice to have some kind of external NFC reader which you can add to the Tedee and use NFC dongles with. Read them and after that allow them. Or maybe just use the NFC chip in smart phones or smart wearables (smartwatches) to access the home..

15 people like this idea

First of all, I am happy with my tedee lock at home. It works how it is supposed to.

Tedee is on hold. With only a lock it does not win from the competition.

Since the keypad with NFC was announced 3 years ago, nothing new has been designed.

I played with the pad a couple of months ago, the design is not that pretty. It looks and feels like a brick.

On the other hand, also the use changes, people do not want to use a smartphone over and over again, but switch to fingerprint, NFC or...... 

Also households change (Kids), companies are growing.

In my company, i already moved from Tedee to Unifi. Its not cheap, but works perfectly and most of all, they innovate.

Looking at the same price range as Tedee, you will see that these companies innovate in customer experience and their designs are more elegant.

Tedee is missing the boat. This will eventually lead to withdrawel of the product.

2 people like this

It's just not true, what you are saying.

Of course Tedee (and/or some resellers) promised functions, which not have been delivered.

For example NFC in the Keypad. It even still is on Tedee's homepage:

"Verfügt es über ein NFC-Lesegerät?- Ja, das tut sie, aber im Moment ist sie noch inaktiv. Wir haben sie hinzugefügt, um diese Funktion in Zukunft mit einem Firmware-Update zu aktivieren. Sie müssen das Gerät nicht ersetzen, um von NFC zu profitieren."

Yes, indeed, they do not say when. But I am sorry: I am not expecting an announced feature after 3 years, when technology basically is EOL.

Also, saying it's great that Tedee is focusing on basics when not having the capability of handling more... Bringing out a new version of a lock instead of just optimizing everything else with the now so called "Pro" is just a wrong move then. Furthermore, I am expecting a little bit from a company when paying such a price for a product. So yes, it is very disappointing and yes customers are allowed to be upset with Tedee.

I’ve been silently watching the comments come in over the years and have a slightly different take, that I’m sure will upset some people.

I agree with the comment today that communication has been completely lacking and that’s the main issue, expectations have been handled poorly and updates are disappointing. Every time there’s an update to the app or the lock it’s not something to get excited about.

However… I’m still very happy with the lock. It’s unobtrusive and really reliable. I tried a Nuki lock for work and I think it’s terrible. It’s big, plastic and ugly. Their keypad is nice though and really small. Certainly the 280 euro version of the keypad with stainless steel is nice. The Aquara has a great feature set, but it’s also clunky. Anyway, I don’t see an alternative that I like.

I don’t understand people that are truly upset that they’re not getting new features such as NFC, or even Homekey. Or new products that we can buy that have these things. Sure, it’s very disappointing. But when all of us bought the product there was no promise of future functionality by Tedee afaik. It’s not a subscription service where regular new features are the norm.

Finally, I do actually appreciate it when companies prioritise reliability and fixing bugs over adding new features. Tedee is just a bit on the extreme with not adding new features or accessories.

Yeah, I also follow the u200 for months now. For me the HomeKey is the "key" feature. If that is implemented (as they say) and Tedee does not offer at least some kind of NFC reader capability or new fingerprint sensor, then sad to say, Aqara it is. It is shame, I like that is EU company, with local development in Warsaw. I bet people at the beginning were very passionate. 

Let´s hope at least we will get some info out of this. If you don´t know what to expect, then you will go to other product, if you know that the feature wont be available, you can probably live with it, but this state of status quo with kind of maybe there will be some feature, maybe not, its just really frustrating. 

For people with kids, NFC feature or fingerprint is a must I must say. Cant expect kids to go with phones everywhere.

I have already got rid of the tedee lock and the keyboard which was useless, the basic NFC has not been working for 3 years and the keyboard itself is intimidating with its appearance (it looks like a brick). I pre-ordered aqara u200 - in 5 minutes I solved all the problems that tedee had not solved for 3 years.

Thank you

1 person likes this

I can´t say I do not agree. It is shame. I really like the product itself. But communication is key here. It is not lack of features, it is lack of information that makes community frustrated.

if there's no capacity on the software side say it clear and make either the current firmware open or a way of getting alternative firmware (also cause when tedee goes of of business it will be a expensive door stoper, from what I found it's just just nrf52840, development on that should be straightforward) that will make people who want to have nfc/homekey or 100% offline operation able to do it their way

1 person likes this

The silence is the biggest problem here. The product is good, it is quite reliable with no major issues. But the frustration in the community comes from lack of response when they are "promised".

It would be enough to say, there is no capacity to do this at the moment, the priority is "zero" as other features like security are more important and focusing on. There is no shame in that, at all.
Yes NFC capability is only "flashy" feature that will make headlines and there are more important underlying issues, BUT this topic is 3 years old, since the keypad was released with NFC capability, a response that it will not happen its okay as well. That HomeKey wont happen is okay, but let the users know, this is creating only frustration and word of mouth is not gonna be positive, even though the product is among best in its class for the "basic" features as a normal lock is.

Aqara U200 is coming out soon and I will probably switch :( I don't understand how one of the most desired features can't be a priority!

1 person likes this

Hello, is there any news about the NFC-feature in the keypad?

As Andrzej Kaszycki said, there should have been some news by the end of january, which was 2 weeks ago.

2 people like this

@CarMen,

Thank you for your comments.

It appeared it was still possible to return the keypad so I asked the buyer to do so.

For now, i am leaving it as it is. 

If Tedee gets a new device for NFC only(With proven functionality), i might re-evaluate the option.

Keypad is kind of a disappointment. I don't get it why tedee did not manage to include some larger battery, given the size of that thing. In fact the first set of batteries went dead in quite short time (Original Varta industrial) but even more annoying was the low battery message came up just like one day before and when I came back after the weekend the device was dead. So it is not reliable also! Hope they fix such issues soon as well!

I just received the key pad.

The buyer read that the year of introduction was 2021 and NFC would be ready later that year. So he believed it should work today.

I now have a device of around 100 euro which is worthless to me. I do not trust PIN not that i forget, but everyone can try when i am not home.

i am now thinking if i need to switch to a another brand completly. Before installing this enormous big device on the wall.

Volodymyr, I don't know what phrasing is triggering it. I wrote a longer post once, it never got published. Hence, rewrote and repostet it, same thing. Took a screenshot and could not post it as well. Thus I wrote, that I could not write, what I was about to say - got published right away. It's a shame that you cannot articulate openly and also have to fear that you spend time and effort writing about something and then it just vanishes from your screen. I just don't appreciate that kind of censorship.

As I can see there is a pre-moderation now and published only "good" posts.

This is how Teede deal with customer support now.
My previous post about terms & roadmap not even published.

Login or Signup to post a comment