Start a new topic

Different locking/opening options

I wrote that in an email earlier to smartlock.de already, but would like to post it here as well:

With Nuki I built my own automatic lock'n go option, which makes way more sense to me than locking the door all the time, because it behaves more like I close my door when not having a smartlock than the option provided right now:

When nobody is home the door should be locked, but only if the people are out ot the homezone. When I am home I never lock my door. Also, when I am just downstairs in the basement, I do not lock my door. Hence, your auto lock option is not enabled, because it is a little anyoing and drains battery. But now I have to manually lock the door when leaving for a longer time/distance. Yes, I still have to look into your API and probably build that with another geofence from my smarthome system. But I think this option could be within Tedee itself.

Also I liked that the door could be unlocked, but not opened, when entering the homezone and for autounlock the lock only had to pull the spring. In some situations this just saves time for opening the door (e.g. late blutooth connection).

One thing I thought I found already, but after playing with and calibrating the lock again I do not find again:

Is there an option to auto unlock & pull spring, but when manually unlock the spring is not pulled (but two different options on the tedee app screen, so I could pull the spring directly)? Do not ask for what situation I would like this (I honestly forgot), but one day I was wondering about this function...

3 people like this idea

1. auto-lock

Thanks for feedback. It is nice feature but unfortunatelly prone for errors. Locking door base on geofance may faile in many situations and we cannot provide such feature for customers. You can achieve your scenariu quite easly by your self using our API.

The purpose of auto-lock is to make your home safe by making sure your door ale locked especially at night when you go sleep. In your case when you are at home it will not work. The solution could be scheduled auto-lock and this is planned to implement

2. unlock without open

We do not want to confuse users by complicating more the open/unlock feature. We will check feedback about this and we need more use case. We do not plan add features without specific use cases.

3. auto unlock with pull and manual without

no there is not way to do this right now. But we think about this and waiting for users feedback and of course use cases :)

1 person likes this

to 3.

But this is actually the normal use case. I lock the door overnight (also automatically). In the morning I unlock it again, but I don't want the door to open. I do not want to leave the house. Inside is a door handle to open.

If someone rings the doorbell, I don't want to unlock it first. Therefore, "unlock only" is the normal case.

(but auto-lock must work with opening)

1 person likes this

mistyped, sorry : auto-lock -> auto-unlock 

You are right it makes sens. Thank you for feedback

1 person likes this

3. It would be really nice to have an option to unlock without pull spring.

At the moment we automatically lock the door at night (with Homey / API integration) and want to unlock it in the morning without pull spring.

1 person likes this

Hi Marco,

We have this feature planned for this quarter.

2 people like this

I am a new user of the tedee lock. I also would appreciate an option to lock and unlock without pull spring by a programmable time.

Also I thought before i bought the lock, that the door is possible to auto-lock when I leave the geo-fence. Why is this not possible?

If I make a time-delay after I opened the door for auto lock, then the door locks for example if my wife goes out and empties the waste or hangs the laundry. Nobody knows how long this takes.

Well Konrad posted a year ago:

1. auto-lock

Thanks for feedback. It is nice feature but unfortunatelly prone for errors. Locking door base on geofance may faile in many situations and we cannot provide such feature for customers. You can achieve your scenariu quite easly by your self using our API.

I don't get it though, Tedee cannot provide such a feature, but I am suppose to be able to?! There are a lot of small things, I would to implement and was waiting for the local API to do so. Now Konrad also said somewhere else, that this still will take a while. When I was looking into implementing Tedee into Hubitat this did not seem that easy either. So I guess you have to be a coder to take the full advantage of Tedee at the moment. It's a pitty, because I do like the lock a lot, but it's lacking LOTS of stuff, I would like to see.

On the other hand, it should be up to the user to decide whether to activate automatic closing. If it works in HIS environment, he should be able to use it. Geofencing works very well for opening. I understand that it is very difficult to see if ALL residents have left the house.

You would have to be able to select which smartphones must all be outside the zone and within what time.

But you can get used to the fact that the last one, when leaving, presses a little longer on the lock. 

PS:The different pull settings would be so much more important :( .

I agree with you. Also it is apperently not that complicated. Tado smart heating system does it for years. In my old setting I used this geofence event for Nuki via IFTTT (which is still not supported by Tedee either, right?)

And for me pressing a bit longer on the lock is a "problem", because it is not implemented that well either: No haptic/sound feedback and the LED not visible well at all positions. I do not like that so much. But Tedee does have the feedback on that already. Yes: we keep you busy and filling your to do list Tedee team ;)

Yes, the problem with finding the right pressing time is a problem. Any feedback would be very great. Since there is probably nothing built in, it would be great if the motor started for a split second. You would notice the twitch, but it is not rotated. 

For just a little longer press and the lock goes off. The time for switching off should be defined much longer, at least 20-30s or so. Because the lock is normally never switched off, only in case of problems. The LED is really very hard to see, wrong direction or hand in front of it.

I suggested turning/wiggling the motor,  like Nuki does if I remember correctly, months ago. The feedback here was not bad. It's a pitty that those (from a user point of view) small implementations take such a long time or will never happen - who knows?. Also an LED Ring around the entire lock could be helpful. Probably a reason why almost every other lock has such a ring. But maybe a completly LED front would be a possibility too and Tedee still would be "different to others"?

@Konrad Sikorski,

isn't "this quarter" from 5 months ago over now? I would appreciate that (and other suggested) implementation a lot!

Login or Signup to post a comment