Start a new topic
In Progress

local REST API in Bridge

Hi,

as I'm asking once in a year for the local REST API, I'll do it here aswell in the hope, that it become a better priority :)

I want that the very nice REST API is available just locally in my LAN

Why I want this:

- Security reasons: I want to be responsible on my own and this is only possible with a local REST API

- Availability: Sometimes, the currently available REST API in your cloud is pretty slow. I'm waiting 10 seconds for a response which is a no go. Also: when tedee shut down their services, I can trash my bridge and I'm not able to use this smart lock anymore (because I _never_ use the phone app, I just use my openhab integration and the App HTTP Shortcut which sends a request to an own build REST API which not just opens the main door, it also opens the entry door where no tedee is possible (build in electrical lock)

Please keep in mind, that the only reason why I chose Tedee over a competitor is, that before I bought it over a year ago, I got a response on my request from you, that "soon" a local API is available at the bridge. 

I was thinking about to create an "offical" openhab binding for Tedee but if this feature is not  upcoming in the next 12 months, I'll sell it and buy something from competitors which has the local API available.

Please take this also as constructive critics :) 

BR

4 people like this idea

I forgot to mention, please also update your lock firmware:

1. PRO - 2.0.15964 
  2. GO - 2.0.15968 

1 person likes this
You say that with a smiley... I think it's annoying, that features take *such a long* time. Yes, tedee dilivered features promised, but the timeframe is just way too long. I put in two tickets end of March and beginnung of April with minor, but annoying, errors. I have not even got a response on them.

1 person likes this
For me it was also a condition to buy the product. Unfortunately, teachers words. Excuses because of security, but you could blame by a confirmation in the app. Again, please set up a local API. Thank you very much in advance.

1 person likes this

Hi, It should be ready around the vacations.

1 person likes this
Thanks a lot for update! Any rough time estimate when it could be finalized?

1 person likes this
Any news on this @tedee support team?

1 person likes this

I just gave it up. I'm sure they will even not release it in 2023. I moved with my tedee to another small hall where I dont care about security and stability and got a new device from a competitor at my home.

1 person likes this

@Carsten, 

We're aware of the recent outage impacting both our Azure cloud service and, unexpectedly, the local API functionality. This was not the intended behavior, as the local API should provide a reliable fallback during such incidents. Unfortunately, a bug in our bridge firmware disrupted this process. Please know our team is actively working on a firmware update to address this issue and prevent future occurrences. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to enhance the reliability of our systems.

1 person likes this

You are selling smart door locks. This MUST NOT happen.

1 person likes this

@Konrad, even body in GET request cannot be parsed so it would not help. I agree that moving all state to query is also not viable. I think the best solution here could be to add some kind of event callbacks - so define URL to call when lock gets locked, another URL when it gets unlocked, and one more when it fails to lock. Those 3 events are most important to get in real-time, all the other stuff like battery status etc can be polled and it will be fine. Alternatively a single callback URL with a placeholder which would get substituted with new state (locked, unlocked, blocked).

1 person likes this

hello, any news for the local api ? 

1 person likes this

Hello I bought this device because it was promised that there will be a local api. I live in an area where the internet connection is rather bad and that's why it is better for me if there will be a local api. When it comes to security, please let the user decide if you tick the box in the app whether he would like to use it or not.

I hope that the implementation will take place in the near future, otherwise the device is unusable for me.

thank you for your understanding.

1 person likes this

@Frans Hettinga

It is quite straightforward. I don't know what you already have, so let me describe all the steps from scratch.

1. Install Home Assistant. There is many ways to do it, consult documentation for details.

2. Install Bluetooth Proxy on ESP32 and connect it to Home Assistant. There is a website that automates this whole process.

3. Reset the Tedee lock and add it via Homekit Device integration to Home Assistant. Then calibrate the lock using the Tedee app.

That's it really. If you have additional questions or problems, I suggest you visit the Home Assistant forum, as it is the proper place for those issues.

1 person likes this

If that happens, I will buy a Tedee :) Been waiting a long time, and I hope it's finally coming. I know good software takes time, so I'd rather they are careful with it and do a proper job.

SolidRoot, you have read that you still need an internet connection to use it? You realize that this took three years and is not really what customers expected when Tedee called it "local". Nothing against good software and doing a proper job, but this has to be in a reasonable timeframe for technology nowadays and it's just not. Especially, because for you it might be the reason to buy Tedee, for others there would be other reasons customers wished for or Tedee promised and since Tedee is not able to work on two things at once, it will take forever to match with other companys out there.

Login or Signup to post a comment